games

banggood 18% OFF Magic Cabin Hat Country LLC HearthSong 15% Off Your First Purchase! Code: WELCOME15 Stacy Adams

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Miss Manners: Facebook postings often tell us what we needn't know - Washington Post

facebook - Google News
Google News
Miss Manners: Facebook postings often tell us what we needn't know - Washington Post
Apr 15th 2012, 04:02

Is this the new norm? Should I ignore these posts? Should I join in the fray? Should I make judicious cuts to my list of Facebook friends? In short, in this time of Internet manners, what's a properly brought-up lady to do?

GENTLE READER: It is still in poor taste. But perhaps you have noticed that there is quite a lot of poor taste material on the Internet, which people post about themselves and others.

They have become their own paparazzi. Everybody can know what just about everyone else is doing pretty much all the time. Among other things one doesn't need to know, this reveals the fact that everyone is not invited to everything.

A proper lady does not accept a new "norm" that is basically inconsiderate of others just because it has become common. But Miss Manners would also expect her to pity people who don't know the right way to thank their hosts or to share their activities, and ignore what should not have been intended for her eyes.

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I ran into a high school friend last year who contacted me, four months later, about a part-time position in his marketing company. I've been with the company nine months now, and I'm unhappy with the feedback I receive. This is very negative to me, and I'm not seeing results of my hard work.

My manager tells me it's due to the economy and not to take it personally. However, for the past three or four months I've had sleepless nights, have come down with a cold several times and am generally just not motivated to go there in the morning. I have all the signs that I'm not happy with my job and it's time to move on.

The hard part is, how do I gently tell my manager that it's not working out for me, that the job is not a good match for me? After all, he did offer me a position after not being in contact with me for 20 years.

GENTLE READER: And very nice of him it was, which you must acknowledge. But that does not make you his indentured servant.

What you should tell him is how grateful you were to get the job, how much you have learned and how impressed you are with his company. Then, just when he thinks you are about to hit him for a raise, you say: "But it's time for me to move on. I'm so glad I had this experience, and I can't thank you enough for hiring me."

Miss Manners warns you that considering the bad feedback, this time he may not try to talk you out of leaving. By withholding your dissatisfaction, you don't make your friend feel bad for doing you a good turn.

Visit Miss Manners at her Web site, www.missmanners.com, where you can send her your questions.

2012, by Judith Martin

Distributed by Universal Uclick for UFS

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters recommends: Donate to Wikileaks.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment